CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, January 14, 2008

Home Made Flour Tortillas

I used my cast iron sklillet. I really like this thing and am looking forward to making corn bread in it. That is the tortilla dough in the pan.

I just used white flour this time. Next time I will use half/half. A few weeks ago I was making chicken tacos for lunch for the kids and we ran out of chicken and my eldest ds wanted more. I thought about taking some cheese and corn tortillas and making a generic quesidilla for him but I thought, no I want to make him something really yummy. I stopped what ever else I was doing in the kitchen and made up fresh flour tortillas.

I even used a new recipe from a cook booklet my eldest dd had gotten me for x~mas. They turned out so good I made more up for dinner. I didn't use any wheat this time but played with the water variations. I hate that when recipes tell you just to add whatever. Grrr... The first time I think I added 1 cup and they were fine but the second time I added 3/4 of a cup and I think they were perfect.

I haven't made tortillas in probably 6 months. I alternated between using my corn tortilla press and rolling them out with my middle dd's mini rolling pin. I may just make some again today. Do you make your own tortillas?

7 comments:

Sonshine said...

I have made my own tortillas just once! Everyone liked them except my dh. He said something along the lines of..."they don't taste the same as the store bought!" and "they are tearing easily". Soooo I am a little hesitant to try them again. But I will try them again and do them a little differently and see if I can't master tortilla making. It would save us about $2-4 each time we have tacos at my house! What tortilla recipe are you using?? I used one a friend gave me and also looked at trying hillbilly housewife's one.

Amanda said...

I LOVE homemade tortillas. I really need to learn how to make them for myself....but then again maybe I shouldn't - I'd them and it wouldn't make trying to get this baby weight off easy LOL.

Jasmine's Journey said...

Sonshine I will post the recipe for you. When I made the other tortillas months ago they were very good, very filling but ours broke easily too. It must be the wheat. Did you use all whole wheat? I was at the time.

This last time I don't remember them breaking so easily. They were small though so it was more like a soft taco. It was all white though and so next time I will try half and half. What ratio of flour are you using?

http://jasmine31.blogspot.com/2008/01/white-flour-tortillas.html

There is the recipe on my blog.

Hi Amanda. I LOVE anything mexican and tortillas are at the top of my list of guilty pleasures. When we were making the whole wheat ones they were soooo good but so filling I could only eat two.

These ones I made with white flour were killer though. I think I ate 4 that day and would of eaten more. lol If you could use some ww flour and have some healthy beans and a tiny bit of cheese , some salsa it would be good for you. I have lost a lot of weight the last few years from counting my calories and walking.

Just remember, everything in moderation. ;)

Sonshine said...

I used white flour totally no whole wheat. I was going to do it with half and half BUT I decided since I was just trying the recipe for the first time that I would stick with the recipe and if I tried it a second time then work at changing things a bit.

Jasmine's Journey said...

That is what I have been doing lately with recipes. trying them how they are supposed to be then if I want to experimenting the next time.

Well if the recipe I posted doesn't work for you let me know and we'll find another one.

Bronwyn said...

yum! i found a good recipe here too: http://www.howtodothings.com/food-drink/how-to-make-flour-tortillas

Jasmine's Journey said...

Hi B. Thanx for the link. I have moved my blog to wordpress on my own domain. Come join me over there!

http://dangerouslydeliciousrecipes.com/blog/